Preparing for Neuropsychological Testing
A neuropsychological evaluation at University Hospital in Madison, Wisconsin is recommended for individuals who display difficulties or changes in thinking, memory, speech, personality or other behaviors which are significant enough to interfere with their daily living or development.
- A full or half-day of testing has been reserved for you or your child. If you are unable to keep your scheduled appointment, please contact us immediately.
- Your visit can last from two to six hours. This will depend on age and the reason for referral to us.
To Help You Prepare for Your Visit
- Dress in comfortable clothes and get a good night's sleep before your appointment.
- Eat a good breakfast the morning of your appointment.
- Take your prescribed medications.
- If you are scheduled to take medication during the time you are going to be with us, please bring the medication with you and take at the normal prescribed times.
- Bring glasses for reading or a hearing aid if you normally wear these.
- If testing goes into the afternoon you will be provided enough time for a lunch break.
- If you feel you will get hungry during your appointment or need a small snack due to medical needs, snacks are available in our cafeteria or feel free to bring snacks with you.
- We do not have a refrigerator for your snacks. You may bring a small cooler.
- If you have a family member or friend who knows your condition or current concerns, please bring them with you.
- A parent or guardian must come with anyone under 18 and remain for the duration of the appointment.
- Once testing starts, family members or friends will be asked to wait in our waiting room. They cannot accompany you/your child in the testing room.