Spicy Southwestern Salad with Avocado Dressing
Loaded with vitamin C, the sweet potatoes in this healthy salad recipe may smooth wrinkles by stimulating production of collagen, as shown in clinical studies. You'll get another skin boost from the avocado, rich in healthy fats and vitamins A and C. Get the recipe from the UW Health Learning Kitchen:
For the salad:
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ¼ tsp. cumin
- 1 ¼ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne (optional)
- 1 14 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14 oz. can sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 romaine heart, chopped
For the dressing:
- ½ of an avocado
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp. salt
- A squeeze of lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel the sweet potatoes and chop into one inch pieces.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, cumin, and chili powder. Coat the sweet potatoes with this mixture.
- Roast potatoes for 10 minutes. Stir the potatoes around. Turn the heat up to 425 degrees, and roast for another 10-15 minutes. Remove when potatoes are just barely roasty-brown on the outside. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a small food processor, pulse all dressing ingredients until mostly smooth.
- Toss the beans, corn, lettuce, and sweet potatoes with the dressing.