Quinoa Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites
Need a skin-friendly pick-me-up? The antioxidants in dark chocolate, flavonals, have been shown in some studies to reduce roughness in the skin and protect against sun damage. And the walnuts in these energy bites are packed with omega-3 fatty acids, which may strengthen the membranes of your skin cells, locking in moisture and protecting against skin-damaging toxins.
- ½ cup quinoa
- ½ cup unsweetened dried cherries
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- ¼ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 12 Medjool dates, pitted
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions. Allow to cool.
- In a food processor, combine quinoa, cherries, walnuts, cocoa powder and chocolate and process to evenly mix.
- Add dates to processor and pulse until well combined and forming a sticky "dough".
- With clean, slightly wet hands, roll mixture into approximately 1-inch size balls. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate to store. They will become firmer as they cool.
- Optional: Coat bites in shredded coconut after rolling.
Makes 10 bites