Protecting Your Skin From Old Man Winter
But there are several things you can do to protect your skin and look great all winter long.
What causes dry skin?
Your skin is protected by a layer made up of water and lipids. When certain lipids are lacking, this natural barrier is weakened and water is allowed to escape, resulting in increased sensitivity to outside irritants.
What are the symptoms of dry skin?
Dry skin is characterized by itching, flaking, redness, scaling and chapping.
What should you do?
- Take brief showers and baths and avoid hot water
- Use a mild cleanser
- Avoid rubbing the skin dry after a shower or a bath. Instead, pat gently with a towel.
- Immediately after bathing, apply a lipid-replenishing balm or lotion
- Maintain a balanced diet, exercise and drink plenty of water
- A humidifier can be used to maintain an adequate indoor moisture level
- Use a mild laundry detergent and limit the use of bleach on clothing and bedding
Call UW Health Transformations Jeune Skin Care at (608) 836-9990 or (866) 447-9990 (toll-free) to come in for a complimentary skin care consult and learn more about our products for dry skin.