Jeune Skin Care: Ask the Experts
Q. I am going to begin using a Retinol in my home skin care regimen. What is the best way to incorporate this into my routine without getting dry, irritated skin?
A. Using a Retinol is an excellent way to achieve smoother, brighter skin.
Retinol is a vitamin A derivative that works to rapidly exfoliate skin cells to produce a smoother skin texture, help clear blemishes and soften fine lines and wrinkles.
Four things to remember when beginning a Retinol routine:
- Begin Slowly: We recommend starting every other or every third evening for the first 1-2 weeks. This gives your skin a chance to become acclimated to the product. If the skin is tolerating this amount, you could begin using it every evening.
- A size of a pea is enough for the full face (really!). Most people that have very red, peeling skin from their Retinol routine have been over-applying the product.
- Remember to always stop the Retinol for at least one week prior to any chemical peel, microdermabrasion or waxing of the face.
- Daily sunscreen is a MUST. Retinol will make your skin more sensitive to the sun, so make sure to put a sunscreen on every day, even in the winter.
For more information on incorporating a medical strength Retinol into your home skin care regimen, set up an appointment with one of our Jeune Skin Care medical aestheticians:
- Schedule a Free Consultation Online
- Or call UW Health Transformations Jeune Skin Care at (608) 836-9990