Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Current Volunteers

Volunteer Contact Information

(608) 263-6046

At UW Health, our volunteers play an important role in the overall success of our organization. They assist patients, their families, and visitors to our facilities and are valued members of the health care team.


The questions and answers below pertain to current volunteers to UW Hospital and Clinics and American Family Children's Hospital.


Who can I ask regarding questions pertaining to Volunteer Services?


Please call (608) 263-6046 or e-mail Supervisors are not usually able to answer general questions.


I don't have my name badge yet. Can I volunteer?


No. You cannot volunteer without your name badge for security reasons.


What if I decide I can't volunteer anymore?


Please call or e-mail Volunteer Services to let us know. It is also important to let your supervisor know.


Do I need to contact anyone when I want to change my volunteer placement/day/time? Whom do I need to contact?


Yes, you have to contact Volunteer Services when you need to change anything about your volunteer job.  You must notify Volunteer Services about any changes.


What do I do when I am unable to make my volunteer shift for whatever reason?


As soon as possible call your supervisor to let them know. After that, send an e-mail to Volunteer Services about your absence, let them know you contacted your supervisor and also state the volunteer job that you have and where.


Does my supervisor know....?


Where to pick up my name badge? Where to buy a polo? How to use the sign-in computer? When I need to update my TB test?


No, not usually. For these questions and other similar ones, please contact Volunteer Services.


Will I get a response from Volunteer Services faster if I e-mail and call? How long should I wait to receive a response?


No, we would rather you don't do both as this will lead to delays because of the number of inquiries we receive. Please send us an e-mail or contact us by phone. E-mail is the preferred method of communication. Volunteer Services responds to e-mail and phone calls on a first-come, first-serve basis.


What do I do if I lose my name badge?


If you lose your name badge, please let Volunteer Services know and be prepared to pay $12 to replace it.


Should I keep copies of my medical documentation?


Yes. Keeping copies of your medical documentation (such as TB tests, vaccine records, and titers) will make it easier for you if you ever need to provide that documentation in the future for schools, jobs, or other volunteer organizations.