UW Medical Foundation Named a BOLD Health Care Organization
UW Medical Foundation recently was honored as one of 19 leading "BOLD" health care organizations that are using evidence-based leadership development practices to achieve excellence and improve the quality of health care in their communities.
BOLD, which stands for Best Organizations for Leadership Development, is the National Center for Healthcare Leadership's platform to recognize those organizations that are leading the field in preparing current and future generations who are transforming our health system.
"This award is a great recognition of the extraordinary work involved in the creation and development of our programs," says UWMF president and CEO Jeffrey Grossman. "All of the winners have a common approach to success by creating learning opportunities for personal development, rather than trying to teach people through pure didactics."
Representatives from the 19 health care organizations were recognized during NCHL's 2014 Human Capital Investment Conference on Nov. 21 in Chicago. UWMF was among nine health care organizations to receive BOLD Honorable Mention recognitions. UWMF was specifically recognized for its programs in Foundations of Management, Leadership Development and Physician Leadership Development.
"BOLD honors health systems for their leadership development work, which importantly, will be available to organizations throughout the country to give them tools to assess the effectiveness of their approach to preparing current and future leaders as a critical factor in achieving organizational excellence," NCHL Chief Executive Officer Andrew N. Garman said. "We congratulate those BOLD organizations for their innovation and commitment to leadership development and hope to see their examples benefit other health systems."
The highest ranking BOLD organizations are:
- Banner Health (Phoenix)
- Cleveland Clinic (Cleveland)
- Cone Health (Greensboro, N.C.)
- Duke Regional Hospital (Durham, N.C.)
- Henry Ford Health System (Detroit)
- Mountain States Health Alliance (Johnson City, Tenn.)
- North Shore-LIJ Health System (Great Neck, N.Y.)
- Presbyterian Healthcare Services (Albuquerque)
- Sutter Health (Sacramento)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (Dallas)
The BOLD honorable mention recipients are:
- Baylor Health Care System (Dallas)
- Cancer Treatment Centers of America (Boca Raton, Fla.)
- Lee Memorial Health System (Fort Myers, Fla.)
- Lincoln County Public Hospital District #3 (Davenport, Wash.)
- Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford (Palo Alto, Calif.)
- Sentara Healthcare (Norfolk, Va.)
- Stanford Healthcare (Palo Alto, Calif.)
- UW Medical Foundation
- Yale-New Haven Hospital (New Haven, Conn.)
"While this award names UWMF as the originator, it should be noted that the programs are now open to all of UW Health and are now 'UW Health' programs," says Bill Schrum, UWMF Vice President of Human Resources. "That statement, alone, is recognition of how far we have all come in developing real leadership potential for the future."