Grilled Cheese Sticks with Tomato Dip
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ tsp. dried oregano leaves
- ½ tsp. dried basil leaves
- ½ tsp. each coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 8 slices sourdough or whole grain bread
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan to medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute 30-60 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Add seasonings and stir. Allow to cook 10-12 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Heat a medium skillet to medium-high heat. Place one slice of bread, butter side down, in the hot skillet.
- Top with slice of cheese, then top with other slice of bread, butter side up.
- Allow to cook, 2-3 minutes, until browned and cheese starts to melt.
- Flip and continue to cook 2-3 minutes, placing a lid on top to allow cheese to fully melt.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Slice grilled cheese into sticks and serve with tomato dip.