Pediatric Trauma Care
At UW Health, American Family Children's Hospital has been an American College of Surgeons verified Level I Trauma Center for pediatric patients since 2004, making it one of the elite comprehensive pediatric critical care facilities in the United States.
To keep the Level I designation, facilities cannot rest on their laurels; they must pass a vigorous re-verification process every three years to maintain Level I status.
Caring for the most critically injured or acutely ill children is always our top priority. However, keeping the Level I designation means we excel at many other facets of trauma care. Our capabilities include:
A Place for Healing
The Level I Trauma Center is a regional resource that provides the highest level of care for injured children. While we hope you never need our services, our pediatric surgeons and specialists are ready and waiting 24/7 should your child ever experience a severe or life-threatening injury.
Our expertly trained pediatric trauma surgeons, nurses and technicians are always available. American Family Children's Hospital also has a broad array of pediatric specialists and programs to meet the physical and emotional needs of every child:
- Pediatric General Surgery
- Pediatric Neurosurgery
- Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine Physicians
- Pediatric Anesthesiology
- Pediatric Radiology
- Pediatric Plastic and Reconstruction Surgery
- Pediatric Psychiatry
- Pediatric Rehabilitation
- Child Protection Program
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Registered Nurses with extensive training in trauma care
We also have the experience anyone would want for the highest level of critical care. Our Trauma Center cared for 617 pediatric trauma patients in 2018. We also continuously strive to improve our processes and treatment methods to achieve the highest quality of care possible. American Family Children's Hospital ranks in the Top 10 percent in the American College of Surgeons Pediatric Trauma Quality Improvement Program, meaning the care we provide is among the best in the nation.
A Facility Focused Entirely on Kids
American Family Children’s Hospital combines state-of-the-art expertise and technology with a warm, soothing environment that is optimal for the healing of children of all ages. Named for eight consecutive years as a Top 50 Children's Hospital by U.S. News & World Report, American Family Children's Hospital offers patients and families:
- A 111-bed contemporary and comprehensive pediatric medical and surgical facility
- Eight pediatric operating rooms staffed by experts in caring for children undergoing surgery
- A 21-bed pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) with ECMO (heart and lung bypass) capability
- A 26-bed neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) expertly staffed to care for our tiniest patients
- A pediatric emergency department led by physicians who are board certified in pediatric emergency medicine
- A team of Child Life specialists who know exactly what it takes to ease the anxiety of a child (and family) coming into the hospital, especially in an emergency
- Pediatric Radiologists who provide the highest quality diagnostic images with the lowest radiation levels, ensuring the maximum benefit with the least exposure to radiation
- A Professional Pediatric Emergency Education Center
We pride ourselves in helping train life support, EMS and paramedic professionals, so each child receives the highest level of trauma care possible before arriving at the hospital. Our Emergency Education Center includes information about our professional training classes as well as answers to frequently asked questions. We also ensure that our own trauma team is kept current with recurring pediatric emergency education initiatives
- A Resource for Injury Prevention Programs
Whether it's teaching you how to correctly install your child's car seat or how to ensure that his or her bicycle helmet is worn properly, UW Health is actively out and about keeping children safe. Our goal is to be sure your child never sees the inside of our Emergency Department. Kids' Safety | Safe Kids Madison Area Coalition
- A Home for Groundbreaking Research
American Family Children's Hospital has a robust research program. Our faculty physicians participate in cutting-edge research related to pediatric trauma and injury prevention. Through partnerships with other children’s hospitals, we help improve the care of injured children far beyond Wisconsin.
- A Leader in Regional Trauma and Injury Prevention
American Family Children's Hospital serves in leadership roles on the following regional and state partnerships: