Tips for Talking to Your Doctor
In order to make the most of each doctor visit, you should prepare in advance.
- Write down what you want to tell your doctor and any questions
- Consider bringing your partner or another person with you so that more than one person hears the information and can ask questions
- Be clear and direct when you describe your infertility problem. These are some things you should be prepared to discuss:
- How long you have had the problem
- The tests you have had
- What you expect from us
- What options you are comfortable trying. Think in terms of: time commitment, financial burden and ethical issues based on your family's circumstances.
- Ask questions - Ask your doctor what is causing your problem and what you can do about it.
- Make sure you understand the plan. Repeat what you have heard to make sure you know what was said.
- Make sure that the plan is right for you. If it is not, let us know. We may be able to alter the plan to better meet your needs.
- Ask for more information if you need it
- Take notes