Support from Our Social Workers
HIV/AIDS Comprehensive Care Program Contact Information
The UW Health HIV/AIDS Comprehensive Care Program has a team of social workers who provide brief intervention and support, as well as comprehensive medical case management services to our patients. They are here to help reduce barriers you may face getting into care, staying in care, taking your medications and coping with chronic illness. You may also hear our social workers referred to as medical case managers.
Your social worker is part of your care team and works closely with your medical provider(s), pharmacist and nurse to address your individual needs. You will meet with your social worker at least once a year to see if they can help you with anything related to your overall health. They will ask you some questions and, based on your individual needs, they will assist with:
- Referrals to other medical services and non-medical services
- Provide adherence counseling and risk-reduction counseling
- Provide eligibility assessment and enrollment assistance for insurance and benefit programs
- Assist you in achieving other medical and non-medical goals
One of the most significant barriers to care are transitions or gaps in insurance and benefits coverage. Your social worker is here to help you navigate and enroll in benefits and insurance programs for which you may be eligible, including:
- AIDS Drug Assistance Program
- Wisconsin AIDS/HIV Insurance Assistance Program
- Ryan White coverage
- Patient assistance programs
- Social security disability claims and other benefits
As part of the federal Ryan White program, UWHIV will ensure that you have access to HIV care regardless of income or insurance status. You will never be denied care in our clinic due to an inability to pay.
For those that might benefit from more support, your social worker will help you schedule and keep track of appointments in our clinic and referrals outside the clinic. They can also provide transportation assistance and link you to other additional support services available through the Ryan White program.