Finding Non-Food Ways to Reward Yourself
When you're working toward a health goal, it helps to reward yourself along the way. Try to think of nonfood rewards that can help motivate you and add something to your life—but without the calories.
Here are some ideas.
- Give yourself 15 to 30 minutes of "me time."
Think of things that you don't normally do but are easy to do at home. For example, you might:
- Read or write in a journal
- Take a nap.
- Watch a fun show or video.
- Listen to a podcast or some favorite music.
- Play a favorite game.
- Call a friend.
- Go on a mini-adventure.
It doesn't have to cost a lot or be planned in advance. You could:
- Take a walk in a new or favorite place.
- Browse the library.
- Attend a free event or class.
- Wander through a thrift store.
- Enjoy a cup of tea in a relaxing place.
Current as of: March 3, 2020
Author: Healthwise Staff
Heather Quinn MD - Family Medicine