Freddie H. Fu, MD - Orthopaedics
Dr. Freddie Fu reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Fu is an orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in sports medicine. In January of 1998, he was named David Silver Professor and Chairman of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Dr. Fu is also Medical Director of the Center for Sports Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and the Head Team Physician for the Pittsburgh Athletic Department. Dr. Fu's major research interest lies in clinical outcome as well as biology and biomechanics of the knee and shoulder in sports-related injuries. He has served as principal investigator or co-investigator on dozens of orthopaedic research projects, many of them studying the treatment of ACL injuries. He has received numerous national and international awards for his work and is a well-known speaker on orthopaedic topics.
Education and Training
MD: University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 1977
Internship in General Surgery: Brown University, Providence, RI, 1977–1978
Orthopaedic Research Fellowship: University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 1978–1979
Residency in Orthopaedic Surgery: University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 1979–1982
AO International Fellow: Hanover Trauma Center, West Germany, 1981–1982
Fellowship in Arthroscopic Surgery: East Lansing, MI, 1981
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Orthopedic Sports Medicine, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA:
- David Silver Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1998–present
- Professor, School of Education, Department of Physical and Recreation Education, 1994–present
- Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1992–present
- Associate Professor, School of Health Related Professions, 1989–present
- Blue Cross of Western Pennsylvania Professor Orthopaedic Surgery, 1989–1998
- Associate Professor of Sports Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1988–1989
- Assistant Professor, School of Health Related Professions, 1986–1989
- Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1982–1988
Current as of: August 23, 2013
Author: Healthwise Staff
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2016 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.