Elizabeth A. Phelan, MD, MS - Geriatric Medicine
Dr. Elizabeth Phelan reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Phelan is Associate Professor in the Division of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine at the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington, and is an investigator with the University of Washington Health Promotion Research Center and Group Health Cooperative's Center for Health Studies. Her research focuses on promoting health and preventing functional decline in older adults, as well as finding ways by which health care systems and communities can support preservation of function. In 2000 she received the Pfizer and American Geriatrics Society Foundation for Health in Aging Postdoctoral Fellowship for Research on Health Outcomes in Geriatrics.
Education and Training
MD: Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, 1992
MS: University of Washington School of Public Health, Seattle, WA, 1996–1998
Internship and Residency in Internal Medicine: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, 1992–1995
Chief Resident in Internal Medicine: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, 1995–1996
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program: University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1996–1998
Fellowship in Geriatric Medicine: University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1998–2000
American Board of Internal Medicine
Geriatric Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
University of Washington, Seattle, WA:
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, 2008–present
- Associate Professor, Medicine, Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, 2008–present
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Health Services, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, 2006–present
- Assistant Professor, Medicine, Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, 2004–2008
- Acting Assistant Professor, Medicine, Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, 2000–2004
Clinical Instructor in Medicine, University of North Carolina Hospital, Chapel Hill, NC, 1995–1996
Author: Healthwise Staff
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2016 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.