Nurse Residency Program
“I have been very happy with the residency program. It has relieved the great anxiety of coming from a theory-based BSN program.”
“I am a better nurse because of the residency program. I love my job and attribute that in part to this program.”
“I feel this position would have been overwhelming had I not had the residency program to help me.”
Applying to the Program
Applications for the 2019 and 2020 Nurse Residency programs are currently open.
How to Apply
Please submit the following items:
- Online application with resume and a transcript
- Supplemental application
- Goal statement
Application items must be combined and submitted as (2) two separate documents:
- Resume and Goal Statement (combined into one (1) PDF document)
- Supplemental Application Packet and current Unofficial Transcripts - must have a 3.0 or higher GPA (combined into one (1) PDF document).
- Note: It is important that you combine the documents in this order, as you are only allowed to upload two (2) documents into the online application
Please follow these steps to apply:
Step 1: Supplemental Application Materials
Complete and save the following forms on your computer. This needs to be completed prior to the online application.
Note: Microsoft Word version (doc) recommended for applicants using a Mac computer
Please refer to the attachment below, which provides information on practice areas.
- Unit Descriptions (pdf)
Step 2: Online Application
Attach the Supplemental Application:
- Go to the UW Health online job search
- Register, if you have not already created an account
- Combine the supplemental application and unofficial transcripts in one (1) PDF document, and combine resume and goal statement in one (1) PDF document.
- Please be sure to use a personal e-mail address.
Step 3: References
If you are selected as a finalist for a Nurse Resident position, the next step will be checking references. At UW Health, reference checking is completed online, utilizing a reference checking service called SkillSurvey.
- Human Resources Recruitment will notify you, either via phone or e-mail, that we would like to begin checking your references.
- An email will be sent to you from SkillSurvey that includes a link to their website.
- You will need to enter the e-mail addresses, including name, title, name of organization of four (4) references. Two (2) - three (3) references should be from clinical nursing faculty and one (1) - two (2) from either a clinical nurse manager, preceptor or supervisor of past/current employment. If unable to enter this information within 48 hours of receipt of the initial email, please contact Human Resources at (608) 263-6500.
- Each of your references will receive an e-mail from SkillSurvey directing them to complete a confidential online survey regarding your past clinical/work performance.
- To help expedite the process, Human Resources recommends that you contact your references in advance and encourage them to complete the online survey in a timely manner.
- You should monitor the progress being made by your references by accessing the SkillSurvey website. Please contact those individuals who have not yet completed the reference survey.
Completed references are a tool used to evaluate and select the best candidate. Job offers are not extended to any candidate without completed references.