Graduate Medical Education Office
Medical Licensure Requirements For PG-3s and Above
In the State of Wisconsin, all physicians with two years of postgraduate training are required to be fully licensed. Your appointment letter lists acquisition of a medical license as a requirement prior to beginning your training program at UW Hospitals and Clinics.
Review the directions for the Online Application Service (OLAS) to apply for your Wisconsin Medical License. OLAS website
Information/documents needed before starting the online application:
- Medical school diploma
- List of dates of employment/training after medical school. Do not leave gaps of more than 30 days between medical school graduation and starting residency/fellowship.
- Read carefully the convictions and pending form. If you have/have had convictions or currently have pending charges such as alcohol violations (including underage drinking) or drug violations, be prepared to submit required documentation.
Medical License Renewal Dates:
- MD medical licenses expire October 31, in odd-numbered years (e.g., 10/31/2015)
- DO medical licenses expire on February 28, in even-numbered years (e.g., 2/28/2016)
Contact the Graduate Medical Education Office at (608) 263-0572, option 5, or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
GME Benefits and Services
- Benefits Summary (pdf)
- Comprehensive Health, Supplemental Dental and Vision Benefits
- GME Benefits and Services
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability (pdf)
- Retirement Benefits and Savings Plans
- State and Federal Notifications
- Short-term Health Insurance (pdf)
It is the objective of UW Hospitals and Clinics to maintain resident/fellow stipend levels at the mean of Midwest teaching hospitals. Annual stipend rates will be based on the mean levels reported in the Council of Teaching Hospitals annual survey and will be adjusted on a yearly basis as necessary.
Annual Stipend Rates for 2018-2019
- PG 1: $59,201
- PG 2: $61,210
- PG 3: $63,608
- PG 4: $66,464
- PG 5: $69,404
- PG 6: $72,586
- PG 7: $75,502
- PG 8: $78,626
Determination of Stipends
A resident's or fellow's annual stipend is stated in the letter of appointment. The stipend level is determined by counting the number of years after receiving an MD or DO (or equivalent degree) that have been spent in a training program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education that apply toward board certification in the current specialty.
- Lifesaving Certification Requirements
- Safety and Infection Control Requirement Annual
- DEA Information
Employment requirements to be completed prior to start date:
- If applicable, acquire appropriate training visa for the current training year.
- Pass the caregiver background information check.
- Complete the employment eligibility verification (I-9 form) (to be completed at orientation)
- Obtain clearance from UW Hospitals and Clinics Employee Health.
- Complete all required orientation activities.
- Obtain the appropriate medical license for your PG level.
- Comply with CPR and other life-saving requirements.
- Pass the USMLE or COMLEX exams for your PG level.
Employment requirements to be completed by specified time points:
- Compliance with CPR and other life-saving training within the first three months of employment.
- Completion of Road to A Harassment-Free Workplace session within first year of employment.
If you would like a copy of a particular policy, please contact the GME office.