Graduate Medical Education DEA Information

All residents must have a full Wisconsin medical license before they can use a DEA number at UW Hospital and Clinics.


Out-of-state Licenses


If you currently hold a personal, out-of-state DEA license, complete the address change request on the DEA website after acquiring a full Wisconsin medical license for Wisconsin. These changes will become effective immediately upon DEA verifying the new state license. The change of address will also ensure that your DEA renewal notice is sent to the correct address.




UW Hospitals and Clinics

2639 University Ave, Suite 201
Madison, WI 53705-3750


DEA Diversion Website - Address Change Form


If You Do Not Have a DEA License

  • If you do not currently have a personal DEA license, you will receive information on how to apply for one in your new hire paperwork.
  • You may submit a reimbursement request to the GME office for the cost of the remaining months of training.

Institutional DEA Numbers


UW Hospitals and Clinics does not allow residents or fellows to use an Institutional DEA number. If you were working under an Institutional DEA number at your previous institution, inform the GME staff that you need to have a DEA number ordered for you. You must have a full Wisconsin medical license in order to receive the DEA number.




If you have questions about the DEA number, contact the GME office at (608) 263-0572, Option 5.