Comprehensive Health and Supplemental Dental and Vision Benefits
This information refers to benefits and compensation for UW Hospitals and Clinics residents and fellows. For information about Family Medicine residency and fellowship benefits and compensation, go to the UW Department of Family Medicine and Community Health site.
ACGME Residents and fellows of UW Hospitals and Clinics may choose from a variety of comprehensive health plans, including fee-for-service plans and HMOs.
For more information to assist in choosing a health plan, please see:
Quartz Health Insurance
There are many reasons to choose Quartz:
Convenient Online Services
- MyChart: Secure online access to your Unity benefit information, billing statements and portions of your UW Health medical information.
- e-Visits: Quick, online visits between you and a UW Health practitioner for common health problems. No appointment necessary.
Quality Care and Customer Service
- Direct access to UW Health's 1,300 physicians and 45 clinical locations, including American Family Children's Hospital – without referrals
- Assistance through the UW Health Welcome Center to help you and your family establish care at UW Health and choose a Primary Care Physician (PCP)
- Unity has ranked among the top-50 NCQA-ranked health plans consistently since 2005*
* According to U.S. News/NCQA "America's Best Health Insurance Plans," 2005-2009 (annual). "America's Best Health Insurance Plans" is a trademark of U.S. News & World Report. According to NCQA's Private Health Insurance Plan Rankings 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15.
All HMO plans include:
- Choice of single or family coverage
- Coverage for spouse/domestic partner and eligible dependents to age 26 available. Tax implications may apply.
- Routine and Preventive Services covered at 100%
- Includes physical examinations and well baby-care
- Illness or injury related services covered at 90% after annual deductible: $250 individual/$500 family
- Employee responsible for 10% coinsurance
- Out-of-pocket limit (OOPL) expense: $1,250 individual/$2,500 family
- Emergency room copayment: $75
- Copayment waived if admitted to the hospital
- All services accumulated covered at 90% after annual deductible
- Employee 10% coinsurance will accumulate toward the OOPL
- Vision Services: Includes one routine eye exam per year after $25 copayment
- Prescription drugs
- Prescription costs include $5 copays for generic drugs and coinsurance for non-generic drugs as determined by the plan's formulary list (pdf)
- Includes basic dental coverage
- 100% Basic coverage for teeth cleanings and X-rays
- Must use Delta Dental providers
- Monthly premiums for health plans offered with and without basic dental coverage
|Insurance Type||Coverage Level||With Dental*||Without Dental*|
|It's Your Choice (IYC) Health Plan||Single||$45.50||$42.50|
|IYC Access Health Plan||Single||$134.50||$131.50|
Premium dollar amounts are current for 2017 and are subject to change each year
Federal Health Insurance Marketplace
As your employer, UW Health is required to provide all employees with a Notice of the availability of the Health Insurance Marketplace.
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires most everyone to obtain health insurance for themselves and their dependents or pay a penalty when filing their tax returns. The Health Insurance Marketplace (also known as the Exchange) is a new option for people to obtain health insurance.
If you have or will have State Group Health Insurance coverage through your UW Health employment, you do not need to enroll through the Marketplace or take action, unless you choose to do so.
If you have questions about your eligibility for health insurance through your employment at UW Health, please email Human Resources or call (608) 263-6500.
Applications must be submitted within 30 days of your start date whether or not you are electing coverage.
Supplemental Delta Dental Insurance
Delta Dental provides supplemental dental coverage with a $25-$50 annual deductible that offers a benefit maximum of $1,000 per person per year. Coverage begins on the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Delta Dental Application (pdf)
- 100% coverage for diagnostic and preventive services
- 80% coverage for of basic services, including fillings, emergency treatment or sealants
- 50% coverage for major services, including crowns, bridges or dentures
- 50% coverage for orthodontics to age 19 (Lifetime Maximum of $1,250 per dependent)
Additional benefit information can be found in the Supplemental Delta Dental Summary (pdf).
Supplemental Vision Insurance
The VSP Vision Insurance plan provides supplemental vision coverage for eye exams, lenses, frames and contact lenses. Coverage begins on the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- 100% coverage on a comprehensive vision examination by a network optometrist or ophthalmologist every calendar year after $10 co-pay
- 100% coverage on single vision, lined bifocal and lined trifocal lenses and scratch-resistant coating every calendar year after $25 co-pay
- Coverage on frames (up to $130 allowance) every 24 months after $25 co-pay. If frames and lenses are purchased in the same year, only one $25 co-pay applies.
- Coverage on contact lenses (up to $105 allowance for contact and the contact lens exam) every calendar year only if electing contact lenses instead of lenses or frames
- Out-of-network reimbursement is available in the below amounts (contact VSP at 1-800-400-4569 before seeing a non-VSP provider):
- Contact lenses up to $105
- Eye exam up to $40
- Single vision lenses up to $33
- Lined bifocal lenses up to $50
- Lined trifocal lenses up to $66
- Frames up to $45
- Discounted rates on laser vision correction available from contracted facilities
- Additional discounts for prescription glasses, sunglasses and contacts at VSP participating providers
Major Medical and Dental - Supplemental
EPIC Insurance provides excess health, supplemental dental and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) benefits. EPIC Insurance is intended to supplement, not replace, the primary health coverage.
- Hospital and Surgery Benefit: Provides Inpatient hospital and/or Outpatient surgery indemnity benefits.
- Dental services not covered or partially covered by the primary health insurance.
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment: Provides a lump sum benefit for accidental death or specific life-altering injuries of the employee, employee's spouse or children.
Employee Reimbursement Account (ERA)
The employee reimbursement account allows employees to pay for medical and child care expenses with pre-tax income. Residents and Fellows have a 30-day deadline to enroll in this benefit. The plan is based on expenses incurred during the calendar year.
- FSA Enrollment Form (pdf)
Medical Reimbursement includes medically necessary expenses not covered by health, dental or vision insurance, such as:
- Prescription co-pays
- Major dental expenses
- Glasses or contacts
- Refractive surgery
The Dependent Reimbursement account is for child or dependent care up to $5,000 per year, and up to $2,500 for non-covered medical and dental expenses. The minimum annual contribution is $100. Expenses for daycare, as well as before- and after-school care of children may be reimbursed.