Spiced Tofu Salad
This heart-healthy recipe incorporates foods that help reduce inflammation and promote heart health.
- 3 teaspoons paprika (amount depends on personal taste preference can increase or decrease it)
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 Tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 4 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 1 15-ounce canned chickpeas, rinsed thoroughly
- 14 cups torn kale (from 1 large bunch) or baby kale
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 2-inch strips
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, cut into 2-inch strips
- 1 English cucumber, halved and sliced
Health Tip: Substitute canned chickpeas for fresh chickpeas – Soak fresh chickpeas overnight in water. The next morning, drain water and steam chickpeas until soft to be used in the recipe.
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine paprika, cumin, garlic powder, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Measure out 2 teaspoons and set aside. Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 tablespoon oil to the remaining spice mixture. Cut tofu into 3/4-inch cubes and pat dry. Add the tofu and chickpeas to the spice mixture in the large bowl and stir to combine; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Spread the tofu and chickpeas on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Roast on the lower rack, stirring once halfway through, until golden brown, about 20 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, return the reserved 2 teaspoons spice mixture to the large bowl and whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons each lemon juice and oil. Add kale and, with clean hands, massage the greens until they are reduced in volume by almost half, 1 to 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and cucumber and toss to combine.
- Serve the salad topped with the roasted tofu and chickpeas.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate roasted tofu and chickpeas for up to 2 days.
Fat 20 g
Saturated fat 2.5 g
Monounsaturated fat 12 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 450 mg
Carbohydrates 45 g
Fiber 14 g
Protein 22 g
Potassium 1700 mg