Mediterranean Stuffed Salmon
This Mediterranean Stuffed Salmon recipe won first place in the Main Dishes category in the Heart Smart Recipe Contest at UW Health's Heart Fair 2007.
Chef: Jason Egner
- 1 16-ounce fillet Wild Atlantic Salmon (a thick fillet works best)
- 1 8-ounce red pepper
- 2 ounces fresh baby spinach
- ¾ ounce crumbled feta cheese
- 1 ounce homemade pesto (see ingredients and instructions below)
- Roast the red pepper and remove the seeds and skin. Julienne the pepper into thin strips. Remove the skin from the salmon fillet. With a sharp knife, butterfly the fillet lengthwise by holding the knife parallel to the cutting board and slicing the fillet in half. Do not cut all the way through. Open the fillet. Spread the pesto (see ingredients and instructions below) on the top and bottom halves.
- Spread out the julienne pepper strips on the bottom half, followed by the spinach and top with the crumbled feta. Fold the top half back over the bottom.
- With a sharp knife, cut the salmon into four portions. Place on a lightly greased sheet tray and roast at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- 2 ounces fresh basil
- 2 ounces baby spinach
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 ounces grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- Place all ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor. With the machine running, drizzle in the olive oil.
Fat: 11 gm
Saturated Fat: 2.5 gm
Cholesterol: 68 mg
Fiber: 2.5 gm
Sodium: 145 mg