Tuna with a tropical twist. Tuna and pineapple combine to make a delicious and heart-healthy main dish that's easy to prepare any night of the week.
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 pound tuna or halibut
- 8-ounce can pineapple chunks in their own juice
- 6 ounces pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
Cook rice using package directions, omitting salt and margarine.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat bottom of skillet. Cook peppers and onion covered for 12 minutes, or until they begin to wilt, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, rinse tuna and pat dry with paper towels. Cut tuna into 1-inch strips.
- Add tuna, undrained pineapple, and pineapple juice to skillet and cook, uncovered, for 4 to 7 minutes, or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Reduce heat to low and add rice and ginger, stirring to mix well. Cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes, or until heated through.
Total Fat: 4.5g
Saturated Fat: 1g
This recipe is reprinted with permission from the American Heart Association Meals in Minutes Cookbook, Copyright © 2002 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.