Acute Care for Elders (ACE)
At University Hospital and at UW Health at the American Center an innovative service is available to help older patients when they're hospitalized for any number of acute problems.
The Acute Care for Elders (ACE) service offers an enhanced element of care for hospitalized older adults, helping them to maintain or improve their level of function and independence - both during and after their stay at UW Hospital.
Unique to the area, the ACE service consists of an interdisciplinary team including medical providers, a clinical nurse specialist, a social worker, a pharmacist and a physical therapist. The team aims to:
- Improve the quality of care of hospitalized elderly patients
- Prevent functional decline and help with mobility issues
- Prevent the onset or worsening of delirium, depression and dementia
- Reduce the patient's length of stay in the hospital
- Whenever possible, help patients return home after their hospitalization instead of being placed in a nursing home or other care facility
- Transitional Care - Helping patients and families make a smooth transition between health care settings and home