Burn and Wound Center Referrals
Contact the Access Center:
- In Madison: (608) 263-6796
- Out-of-state: (800)-472-0111
Outpatient Burn and Wound Clinic Appointments
To request an appointment for an outpatient, please call the Burn and Wound Surgery Clinic at (608) 264-8040.
American Burn Association Criteria for Transfer
The American Burn Association recommends transfer to a burn center for patients with sustained injuries meeting any of the criteria listed below:
- Partial thickness burns greater than 10 percent of total body surface area.
- Burns that involve the face, hands, feet, genitalia, perineum or major joints.
- Third-degree burns in any age group.
- Electrical burns, including lightning injuries.
- Chemical burns.
- Inhalation injury.
- Burn injury in patients with preexisting medical disorders that could complicate management, prolong recovery or affect mortality.
- Any patient with burns and concomitant trauma (such as fractures) in which the burn injury poses the greatest risk of morbidity or mortality. In such cases, if the trauma poses the greater immediate risk, the patient may be initially stabilized in a trauma center before being transferred to a burn unit. Physician judgment will be necessary in such situations and should be in concert with the regional medical control plan and triage protocols.
- Burned children in hospitals without qualified personnel or equipment for the care of children.
- Burn injury in patients who will require special social, emotional or rehabilitative intervention.