About the 2010 National Kidney Foundation U.S. Transplant Games
From July 30-August 4, 2010, Madison, Wisconsin will host the 2010 U.S. Transplant Games, an Olympic-style event with more than 7,500 attendees from around the country. The mission of the Games is to celebrate the success of transplantation, honor those who have given the gift of life and call attention to the critical need for more organ, tissue and eye donors.
More than 105,000 people nationwide are currently on the waiting list to receive an organ transplant; in Wisconsin alone that number tops 1,500.
The Games feature athletic competitions that are open to those who have received a life-saving organ transplant including kidney, pancreas, liver, heart, lung, or bone marrow/stem cell. New to the Games in 2010, living donors may compete and medal in the 5K Run/Walk and three track and field events.
Games athletic competitions are:
- 3-on-3 basketball
- 5K run/walk
- Track and field
- Table tennis
In 2010, ballroom dancing is a demonstration sport.
The Games also feature Opening and Closing Ceremonies and special events honoring living donors and donor families.
Community 5K Run/Walk
Additional Games Details
- Of the 7,500 attendees who will be in Madison for the Games, approximately 1,500 are transplant recipients.
- Transplant recipients, living donors and donor family members who live in Wisconsin areinvited to join Team Wisconsin for the Games.
- More than 1,000 community volunteers, including 200 Team Hosts, are needed to support the Games effort
- Games venues are Alliant Energy Center of Dane County, Monona Terrace Convention Center and UW Recreational Sports facilities
- The Games will bring an estimated economic impact of more than $2.55 million to the area
Sponsors of the 2010 Games include:
- UW Hospital and Clinics
- Froedtert Hospital
- Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
- Aurora Health Care
- Greater Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau
- National Kidney Foundation of Wisconsin
- American Family Insurance
- Trek Bicycle Corporation
- Dean & St. Mary's
Online Wisconsin Donor Registry
Coinciding with the 2010 U.S. Transplant Games is the launch of the new web-based, online Wisconsin Donor Registry. The registry will make it easier than ever for individuals to authorize organ, tissue and eye donation. Confidential and secure, the registry is being launched by the State Department of Health Services in cooperation with the Department of Transportation.
Beginning April 1, anyone older than 15½ with a Wisconsin driver's license (even if they already have an orange dot) or identification card should register.
For more information about the Wisconsin Donor Registry and to volunteer, run/walk or join Team Wisconsin for the 2010 National Kidney Foundation U.S. Transplant Games, please visit www.YesIWillWisconsin.com.
For more specific details about the 2010 Games, please visit www.transplantgames.org or call (608) 310-7296.