Medical Weight Loss: Very Low Calorie Diet Program
(608) 890-7218 (fax)
- Ketosis/weight loss phase with weekly medical monitoring and classes
- Transition back to food with classes and individual meetings with registered dietitian
- Maintenance/lifestyle (classes) for long-term management of obesity
Who can participate in the VLCD program?
Participants need to:
- Have a primary care doctor
- Have had a complete physical exam within the last year
- Have a BMI of 35 or greater
- Be able to purchase VLCD products and vitamins (at least $300 per month for the full VLCD program)
- Have a goal of losing more than 35 pounds
- Be committed and able to participate in the required follow-up (clinic/class every week for three to six months or longer
Who should not participate in the VLCD program?
People should not participate in VLCD if they:
- Have had a recent heart attack or stroke
- Have heart rhythm abnormalities (may require cardiology referral and clearance)
- Have significant kidney or liver disease
- Are currently undergoing treatment for cancer
- Have Type 1 diabetes
- Have significantly uncontrolled mental illness, including active or recent eating disorders (anorexia or binging with purging), that may interfere with weight loss
People who are incompatible to the VLCD program may be eligible for the Modified VLCD or Lifestyle tiers of our Medical Weight Management program.