Medical Weight Loss: Lifestyle Program
(608) 890-7218 (fax)
The Lifestyle program consists of team approach to weight management with a goal of providing multidisciplinary support for lifelong weight management. In this program patients learn appropriate eating, exercise and lifestyle changes to support a healthy weight. A primary focus will be on exploring food relationships and addressing the role of food. Topics include:
- Mindful and hunger-based eating
- Healthy eating choices
- Healthy exercise
- Addressing eating triggers and making changes
- Maintaining a healthy weight and preventing relapse
Most diets work in the short term but do not help "after" the diet. The main reason people regain weight after a diet is returning to old habits that contributed to weight gain in the first place. The Lifestyle Program is designed to prevent such a relapse.
Who can participate in the Lifestyle Program?
The Lifestyle Program may be appropriate for patients with a lower BMI and fewer health issues or health conditions that would be negatively affected by higher levels of ketosis with the VLCD or Modified VLCD. This program is also the final phase of the VLCD and Modified VLCD program.
Participants need to:
- Have a primary care doctor
- Have had a complete physical exam within the last year
- Have a goal of losing weight and making long-term lifestyle changes
- Be committed and able to participate in the required follow-up (clinic/class every week for three to six months or longer
Who should not participate in the Lifestyle Program?
People should not participate in Lifestyle Program if they have significantly uncontrolled mental illness, including active or recent eating disorders (anorexia or binging with purging), that may interfere with weight loss.