Pancreas Cancer Task Force
The UW Carbone Cancer Center has formed a Pancreas Cancer Task Force comprised of patients, family, friends, community leaders and concerned supporters to raise awareness of pancreas cancer and funds for researching diagnosis and treatment options for the disease.
Pancreas Cancer by the Numbers
- Pancreas cancer is currently the fourth-leading cause of all cancer-related deaths in the U.S.
- The American Cancer Society projects that pancreatic cancer will become the third-leading cause of cancer deaths in Wisconsin.
- Compared to all other of cancer deaths, patients facing a pancreatic cancer diagnosis have the lowest survival rate. Only 6 percent survive five years.
- Pancreas cancer survival rates have not changed appreciably in the last 40 years.
- There is no reliable early detection method for pancreatic cancer.
About the Pancreas Task Force
The Pancreas Cancer Task Force is working to help make significant headway to advance the understanding of and funding for the disease. New insights into pancreas cancer are critically needed. It is essential to translate new pancreas cancer initiatives into meaningful improvements in monitoring, early detection and treatment.
The task force's 10-year goal: Raise $10 million to support basic "pilot" research projects, develop permanent research space within the Wisconsin Institutes for Medical Research and help recruit and retain the most talented researchers. The Gastrointestinal Cancer Department doctors and research staff within the Carbone Cancer Center fully support the efforts of this Task Force.
Pancreas Task Force Mission and Vision
- To create a world class research facility with dedicated staff focusing on pancreatic cancer at UW Carbone Cancer Center.
To find an effective method for early detection, to extend the quality and length of life of those diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and ultimately to find a cure.To live in a world where pancreatic cancer is no longer a deadly killer.
For More Information or to Make a Contribution
To make a personal or corporate donation, make a check payable to the "Pancreas Cancer Research Fund," and send it to:
UW Carbone Cancer Center
Attn: Pancreas Cancer Research Fund
600 Highland Avenue, K4/658
Madison, WI 53792-6164
Or, make a contribution online at www.uwhealth.org/pcrfund
Friend us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pctaskforce
If you'd like more information about the Pancreas Cancer Task Force activities, please contact: