Pizza with Veggie Crust
- 4 cups cauliflower florets (12 ounces) - processed to make 3 cups finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 3 ounces (3/4 cup) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- dash garlic powder
- dash salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Spray a pizza pan or baking sheet with oil spray. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit pan. Spray parchment paper with oil spray. Set aside.
- Cut cauliflower into chunks and discard the middle stem. Place in a large food processor and process until the cauliflower resembles rice. (It is best to do it in 2 batches.) Measure out 3 cups and place in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, add egg and lightly beat. Add cheese and remaining seasonings. Stir to mix. Add cauliflower and stir to mix well.
- Spoon mixture onto pizza pan. Spread out with your hands to form a circle. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until lightly brown and crisp around the edges. Watch carefully to prevent burning. Crust can be made ahead and topping added when ready to eat.
- Turn oven to broil. Top crust with warmed pizza sauce, more shredded cheese and any cooked toppings of your choice. Place pizza under the broiler until cheese is beginning to brown. Remove from oven and let cool 5 – 10 minutes before cutting.
- The pizza is best eaten with a fork when it is hot but as it cools, small pieces can be picked up to eat with your hands.
- If leftovers are re-warmed in a skillet, let pizza pieces set 5 – 10 minutes before serving. The crust is easier to eat if it has slightly cooled.
Total Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Cholesterol: 120 mg
Sodium: 436 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 12 g
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 4 g
Protein: 18 g