Grilled Vegetables and Italian Sausage with Apricot Soy Sauce
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut in 3 inch pieces
- 1 large red pepper, sliced
- olive or canola oil spray
- 4 Italian chicken or turkey sausage links
- 1 pound mushroom caps
- seasoned salt to taste (e.g. Lawry's or Montreal Steak seasoning)
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sugar free apricot preserves
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce, optional
- Cut sweet potatoes into thick 3/4 inch slices.
- In a medium saucepan, cook sweet potatoes in salted water about 8 minutes or just until tender. Drain and place in large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, blanch asparagus in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and place in bowl with sweet potatoes. Add peppers to bowl and set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-hot.
- Spray a grill basket with oil. Cut turkey links into 1 inch slices. (Remove the casing if desired.) Place sausage in grill basket and cook until partially done.
- Add mushroom and spray with oil. Cook until mushrooms are beginning to brown.
- Add all remaining vegetables and cook until all are tender. Sprinkle with salt to taste. Stir gently.
- While vegetables are cooking, combine sauce ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil while stirring. Mixture will thicken slightly. Set aside. Sauce can also be made ahead before cooking the vegetables.
- When vegetables are done, transfer to large serving bowl. Pour 1/2 of the sauce over the vegetable and stir gently. Serve with cooked rice or pasta.
- Pass extra sauce at the table.
Total Fat 1.5 grams
Saturated Fat 0.5 grams
Monounsaturated 1 grams
Sodium 450 mg
Total Carbohydrates 28 grams
Fiber 2.2 grams
Protein 5.5 grams