Fresh Tomato Sauce with Spicy Shrimp
- 8 ounces whole wheat linguine or pasta or your choice
- 1 cup chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined or chicken breast pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 cups chopped tomato (seeded)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook pasta of your choice in boiling salted water according to package instruction. Cook until al dente. Drain and set aside. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water to use to thin sauce if desired.
- In a large zip lock plastic bag, combine 1/4 cup chicken broth, olive oil, salt, Italian seasoning, paprika, cumin and cayenne pepper. Mix well. Add shrimp or chicken and toss to coat. Let marinate 5-10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat oil. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add shrimp or chicken and the marinade to the skillet. Cook over medium-hot heat for 2-3 minutes or just until shrimp have turned pink on both sides of each shrimp. (Do not overcook or shrimp will be tough.)
- Using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove shrimp from skillet and set aside. Add chopped tomatoes, reserved onions, 3/4 cup wine or chicken broth, tomato sauce and basil to the skillet.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue to boil gently, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until sauce is reduced to desired consistency.
- Taste sauce and add salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and sugar to suit your taste.
- When ready to serve, return shrimp or chicken to the skillet and heat through. If needed, thin with reserved pasta water. Serve on warm pasta. Top with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
Fat, gm. 10
Protein, gm. 33
Carbs, gm. 62
Cholesterol, mg. 170
Fiber, gm. 4.6