Chicken, Sausage and Bean Stew
This is a great comfort-food flavorful stew. Choose a low fat Italian turkey or chicken sausage. To make this recipe extra easy, use a rotisserie-style chicken.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium red pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 Italian turkey sausage links
- 1 can (15 ounces) fat-free chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) petite diced seasoned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 ounces cooked chicken, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat 1/3 of the oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add 1/3 of the oil and mushrooms. Cook until lightly brown. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add remaining oil and pepper. Cook until tender. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Squeeze sausage from the casing and add sausage to skillet. (Discard casing.) Cook over medium-hot heat until lightly brown. Stir while cooking to break into small pieces. Add broth and bring to a boil to deglaze the pan. Add reserved onion, mushrooms and peppers. Add beans. Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and chicken. Stir to mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 - 20 minute or until flavors are blended and it reaches desired consistency. If you prefer, add additional broth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over pasta of your choice.
Total fat: 21g
Saturated fat: 3g
Protein: 33 g