Clinical Trial Patient Questions
One of the University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center's greatest strengths is its involvement in groundbreaking clinical trials.
If you are thinking about taking part in a clinical trial, here are some important questions to ask:
- Why would this clinical trial be important for me? What is the purpose of this clinical trial?
- What does the trial involve? What kinds of tests and treatments? Will I be hospitalized?
- What possible side effects could I expect from the study as compared with other treatment side effects? How will these side effects affect my daily life?
- How long will the study last?
- Who will monitor my care and safety while I am on the study?
- What support will be available for me and my caregivings during the trial? Can I talk with other people in the trial?
- What costs will my insurance company, Medicaid or managed care plans cover? Will I have any costs? Will any of the treatment be free?
- If I am harmed as a result of the research, what treatment would I be entitled to?
- What type of long-term follow-up care is part of the study?
- Are there other treatment options available to me and what are their advantages and disadvantages?