Biobanking: Donating Your Tissue Samples
UW Carbone Cancer Center in Madison, Wisconsin, offers biobanking, which is the process by which tissue samples are collected from patient donors for research purposes.
- (608) 262-8488
- Email our Biobank team
Why is Biobanking important at the UW Carbone Cancer Center?
Biobanking at the UW Carbone Cancer Center focuses on:
- Prevention of disease and cancer
- Earlier disease diagnosis and intervention
- Prediction of disease response to treatment
- Improving outcomes and patient survival
If you agree to donate tissue and/or samples and share your medical information, you can help scientists discover new ways to prevent, detect, treat and hopefully cure cancer and other diseases for tomorrow’s generation. Without tissue samples, many types of research, including personalized medicine, are not possible.
How are samples provided to researchers?
After the doctors determine the cause of your illness, we send any remaining tissue sample to the UW Carbone Cancer Center BioBank to be stored and distributed to researchers for use in the future.
Information that identifies you will not be released to researchers. Instead, the BioBank will code your samples and medical information so researchers cannot identify you.
Are there any costs or payments associated with your participation?
No, there is no cost to you for your participation, and you will not receive payments for your participation in the UW Carbone Cancer Center BioBank.
Does your participation benefit you directly?
You will not know when researchers use your samples or the results of their research. You are not expected to benefit directly from donating your samples. However, these results may benefit other patients in the future.
How can you participate?
- If you are interested in participating, talk to your doctor or nurse about biobanking at the UW Carbone Cancer Center.
- Your doctor, nurse or other health care professional can help answer any questions you may have and provide an informed consent document for you to sign.
- You may also speak with a member of our UW Carbone Cancer Center BioBank Team at (608) 262-8488, or e-mail at email@example.com