Previously in Activity Avenue, we reviewed some beginning balance exercises. This month, we will review a more challenging balance exercise.
- Stand tall, with your weight on your left leg. To give yourself a little balance assistance, keep the toe of your right foot down on the floor throughout the exercise.
- Raise your right arm overhead (as pictured below) for greater challenge. To protect your shoulder or neck, keep your hand at shoulder height instead of overhead.
- Engage your abdominal muscles, checking for a strong core and tall posture
- Reach your right hand toward opposite knee, rotating at your waist. You will bend at your hip, knee and ankle.
- Increase the challenge of the movement by attempting to touch closer to the ground on the opposite side of the support foot.
Start with 3 -5 repetitions on each leg, progress to 10 – 15 each leg.
Raise your right arm overhead
Reach your right hand toward opposite knee
Return to starting position and reverse side