Living Kidney Donor Program
Contact Us By Phone
Contact Us Online
About Living Kidney Donation
- Direct Donation: The living donor knows the organ recipient and wants to donate directly to that person. This is the most prevalent form of donation and consists primarily of relatives or close friends of the organ recipient. Transplants involving relatives have proven to be the most successful over time because of the blood relationship between donor and patient. Donors must be healthy and match the recipient's blood type and antigens. If they do not match each other, donors and recipients can enroll in the kidney exchange program.
- Non-Directed, Altruistic or Humanitarian Donation: The living donor does not know the organ recipient. The donor may choose to donate to the next person they match at a specific transplant center or can participate in a paired-exchange or kidney chain donation through the kidney exchange program.
- UW Health Transplant Kidney Exchange Program
- Living Kidney Donor Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Living Donor Advocate
- Transplant Mentor Program
- Living Liver Donor Program