Sports Rehabilitation Throwers Clinic
Please call (608) 265-7500 or (608) 263-4765 and indicate you are interested in a Throwers Clinic evaluation.
The UW Health Sports Rehabilitation Throwers Clinic combines current medical research and technology with knowledgeable physical therapists that specialize in working with baseball players.
Throwing Mechanics and Injury Risk
Improper throwing mechanics have led to an increase in shoulder and elbow injuries for baseball players. Appropriate flexibility, balance, agility, strength, and endurance and sound mechanics are required for players to meet the progressive demands of the game as they graduate through the levels of baseball.
Our goal is to help young players who have pain with throwing or are interested in mechanical improvements reach their pitching or throwing goals. Biomechanical video assessments are used in combination with a thorough musculoskeletal evaluation to address injury and performance issues.
The Throwers Clinic involves a pair of appointments one week apart to maximize the assessment, teaching and performance experience.
The first appointment lasts approximately one hour and consists of:
- History and throwing/training schedule review
- Physical examination (i.e., shoulder and hip mobility, rotator cuff strength, ligament and joint testing)
- Video analysis of pitching or throwing mechanics
Implementation of a treatment program
Second Throwers Clinic Appointment
The second appointment lasts approximately 30 minutes and consists of:
- Guidelines for rehabilitation and throwing
- Teaching throwing correctional drills
- Interval throwing program (age- and position-specific)
More About the Throwers Clinic
- Princeton Club West has large portable mound to throw from and enough distance to re-create the actual throwing environment.
- The Throwers Clinic is available for patients undergoing physical therapy at any of the UW Health Sports Rehabilitation clinics.
- For those interested in this service because of an injury, a physician referral will be required to ensure coverage through your insurance company. Contacting your carrier is still strongly encouraged for verification purposes.
- A mechanical performance evaluation designed for athletes who are not rehabilitating from injury is available for $295. In these appointments the focus will be on proper mechanics for performance and injury prevention.