Alcohol Abuse: Other Health Problems That May Occur
Mental health problems might include:
- Anxiety and anxiety disorders.
- Antisocial personality disorder.
- Bipolar disorder.
- Panic attacks or panic disorder.
- Social anxiety disorder.
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
Physical problems might include:
- Delirium and dementia.
- Peripheral neuropathy.
- Gastrointestinal problems, including:
- Liver diseases such as:
- Cardiovascular system problems such as:
- Pancreatic disorders such as:
It is common for someone who has alcohol problems to also misuse other substances, such as cigarettes, illegal drugs, or prescription medicines. Quitting tobacco and quitting drinking at the same time will actually improve the success of your treatment for both.1
|E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Peter Monti, PhD - Alcohol and Addiction|
|Last Revised||January 18, 2012|
Last Revised: January 18, 2012
To learn more visit Healthwise.org