Enlarged Prostate: Other Surgeries
There are many surgeries to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). But most have not been studied very much. The gold-standard surgery for BPH is transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP). When these new surgeries are studied, they are compared to TURP.
Other surgeries for BPH include:
- Transurethral holmium laser ablation (HoLAP), in which a laser is used to destroy a portion of the prostate.
- Transurethral holmium laser enucleation (HoLEP), in which a laser is used to completely remove the prostate.
- Holmium laser resection of the prostate (HoLRP), in which a laser is used to remove a portion of the prostate.
- Photoselective vaporization of the prostate (PVP), in which a laser is used to destroy a portion of the prostate. This surgery is similar to HoLAP.
- High-frequency focused ultrasound, in which high frequency sound waves (ultrasound) are used to kill prostate cells.
- Interstitial laser coagulation, in which a laser is used to destroy part of the prostate.
- Rotoresection of the prostate, in which part of the prostate is removed in the same way as during transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP). But a new tool is used in rotoresection.
- Temporary stents. Stents are small tubes that are placed in the urethra at the place where the prostate is squeezing it closed. These stents expand and push the walls of the urethra open. They are meant for short-term use.
- Transurethral ethanol ablation of the prostate, in which a chemical (ethanol) is injected into the prostate. The ethanol destroys part of the prostate.
- Water-induced thermotherapy, in which very hot water is used to destroy part of the prostate.
- Laparoscopic and robotic prostatectomy (still being studied).
Health Tools help you make wise health decisions or take action to improve your health.
Primary Medical Reviewer E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer J. Curtis Nickel, MD, FRCSC - Urology
Current as ofJune 4, 2014
To learn more, visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.