Belonging, Learning, and Contributing Checklist
Developing a sense of belonging, learning, and contributing can help your child develop healthy self-esteem. Use this brief checklist as a daily reminder for yourself.
Every day, I will show my child that he or she belongs.
- I let my child know (in at least two ways) that I love him or her.
- I looked at the list of my child's good qualities that is posted on my refrigerator. I added one or more qualities, if needed.
- I praised my child at least two times as often (or more) as I made negative comments.
- I listened to my child's concerns and problems and identified his or her feelings, if needed.
- We had family time today or we have family time planned for this week.
At least once a week, I will have my child involved in structured activities with his or her peers.
At least once a week, I will create a learning opportunity for my child.
- My child had at least one fun learning experience this week.
- I let my child try the learning experience without taking over for him or her.
- It was a complex task, so we broke it down into small steps.
- I praised my child for his or her efforts.
- We planned a time to practice the new skill again, if needed.
Every day, I will let my child know that he or she is contributing in some way.
- We posted our list of family rules (What is a PDF document?) in a spot that helps remind all of us.
- I showed respect for my child in one way today.
- My child has a list of chores that he or she is responsible for. My child understands how to do those chores and the consequences of not doing them.
- We scheduled a regular family meeting (if your family members have agreed to have meetings).
- I made one statement or did one thing to show my child that he or she is part of our family.
- I held my child accountable for his or her choices, behavior, and responsibilities. I enforced the natural or logical consequences, when needed.
- I told my child at least once today that I appreciated something cooperative that he or she had done.
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.