ImageShare Going Hospital-wide
MADISON - UW Health ImageShare is a free service designed to expedite image sharing between UW Health and partnering organizations for the purpose of coordinating patient care.
A site-to-site VPN (virtual private network) is established that allows for fast and secure two-way exchange of DICOM (Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine) images. By expediting image transfers, this service facilitates more efficient patient care for both organizations.
In the absence of a VPN, images are typically transferred via film or CD and mailed or physically delivered during a patient’s next scheduled appointment. To eliminate patient care delays that result from this manual process, we can establish a secure network link with your organization for electronic image exchange.
Benefits of Electronic Image Sharing
- Patients benefit by receiving streamlined care
- Physicians receive same day image review/consultation
- The time and cost associated with CD and film transfer are eliminated
- Data transfer is secure
- Images can be transferred to UW Hospital and Clinics 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
The Image Send Process
- A physician contacts his/her local image management department/file room and asks to have a patient study sent to UW Hospital and Clinics. The following information should be provided:
- The local image management department sends a "transfer notification" fax to UW Hospital and Clinics with study details and the information specified above
- The local imaging department sends the images and records the transaction per HIPAA regulations
- UW Hospital and Clinics confirms that all studies have arrived successfully, acknowledges receipt to the sending facility and notifies the specified UW Health physician
The Image Request Process
- Physicians may also request images from UW Hospital and Clinics through their local image management department. The same information should be provided for the Image Send Process
- The local image management department sends an "image request" fax to UW Hospital and Clinics with study details and the information specified above
- UW Hospital and Clinics will send the requested studies and document the transfer via fax
- The local image management department should acknowledge receipt of the images via fax
Urgent Surgical Review
- A free service that is provided by the UW Vascular Surgery Department
- A physician may request this service when sending images to UW Hospital
- Once the images have been received and processed by the UW Enterprise Imaging Support, the UW Health Access Center will page the requested or on call UW Health vascular surgeon and relay patient and study information
- The vascular surgeon will review the images and contact the referring physician directly to discuss findings and appropriate patient care
UW Health image handling support is provided by UW Enterprise Imaging Support:
Phone: (608) 265-7118
Hours: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Leave Us a Comment
Let us know what you think about this article or tell us what you'd like to see in future issues of Medical Directions.