Stuffed Patty Pan Summer Squash
Impress your family and company with these creative, attractive, stuffed summer squash. Choose the cute little patty pans or regular small to medium sized zucchini. Fill them with a light cheese and bacon flavored bread crumb mixture or add spinach for extra color and nutrients.
- 16 - 20 small patty pan squash or 8 medium zucchini
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 slices turkey or pork bacon
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- dash red pepper
- 1 box (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- In a large skillet, cook patty pans or zucchini summer squash in boiling water until fork tender. The time will depend on the size of the squash. Remove from skillet and cool until easy to handle.
- For patty pans, cut out the top of the squash. The hole should be big enough to get a small spoon inside. Using a teaspoon or a half-teaspoon, scoop out seeds and discard. Set patty pan aside.
- For zucchini, cut them in half length wise. Scoop out the inside to make a boat shape. Discard seeds. Set zucchini aside.
- In a small skillet, heat oil. Add bacon and cook until brown and crisp. Remove from skillet, crumble, and place in medium bowl. Add onions to skillet and cook until translucent. Spoon into bowl with bacon. Add breadcrumbs, cheese, egg, soy sauce, and red pepper to the bowl. Stir to mix well. This mixture can be used to fill the squash or spinach can be added.
- If desired add spinach to the breadcrumb mixture. (Spinach should be thawed and squeezed dry.) Stir to mix well. Use this mixture to stuff squash.
- Place stuffed squash in baking pan. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes or until heated through. The time will depend on the size of the squash.
Saturated fat: g