Spinach Mushroom Cheese Appetizer
This is a very tasty and healthful appetizer that can be prepared ahead of time. Cover and refrigerate until ready to bake. Leftovers also warm up well in the microwave.
- 4 slices turkey or pork bacon*
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium red pepper, finely sliced
- seasoned salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs or 1/2 cup Egg Beaters
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1 box (10 ounces) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack or cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 7 x 11 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet, crumble and set aside. Add oil to skillet. Add onion to skillet and cook until translucent. Add mushrooms and pepper and cook until tender. Sprinkle with seasoned salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg and milk. Add flour, baking powder, salt, white pepper, and cayenne pepper. Mix well. Add reserved bacon and onion, mushroom, and pepper mixture. Stir. Add spinach and 1-1/2 cups of the cheese. Stir to mix well. Pour into baking pan. Top with remaining cheese. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until lightly brown on top and set in the middle.
- Cool at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before serving. Cut into small squares.
Total Fat: 2 g
Saturated Fat:1 g
Cholesterol: 5 mg
Sodium: 268 mg
Carbohydrates: 4 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Protein: 3 g