Print This Recipe
Skillet Lasagna (pdf)
This combo recipe contains a carbohydrate/starch serving (noodles), a protein serving (turkey or beef, cheeses) and a small amount of vegetable. Add a salad to make a complete meal.
- 1 lb lean ground beef or ground turkey, or a combination of the two
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste, no salt added
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3 cups egg noodles, uncooked
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- Black pepper (optional)
- 2 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese for garnish
In a large skillet, brown beef or turkey with onions and garlic. Drain.
Combine tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, basil, oregano and salt in a blender or food processor, blend until smooth.
Add tomato mixture to meat and onions in skillet. Stir in uncooked noodles.
Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
Combine cottage and Parmesan cheeses. Mix in the egg. Add pepper to taste.
Drop cheese mixture by rounded tablespoons onto pasta mixture. Cover and cook for 5 additional minutes.
Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella, cook for an additional minute or two to melt the cheese.
Remove from heat, let set for about 5 minutes for a less juicy texture.
Makes 6 servings
Fat: 13 gm
Saturated Fat: 4.7 gm
Carbohydrates: 26 gm
Sodium: 540 mg
Fiber: 3.7 gm