Print This Recipe
Skillet Lasagna (pdf)
This combo recipe contains a carbohydrate/starch serving (noodles), a protein serving (turkey or beef, cheeses) and a small amount of vegetable. Add a salad to make a complete meal.
- 1 lb lean ground beef or ground turkey, or a combination of the two
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste, no salt added
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3 cups egg noodles, uncooked
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- Black pepper (optional)
- 2 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese for garnish
- In a large skillet, brown beef or turkey with onions and garlic. Drain.
- Combine tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, basil, oregano and salt in a blender or food processor, blend until smooth.
- Add tomato mixture to meat and onions in skillet. Stir in uncooked noodles.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Combine cottage and Parmesan cheeses. Mix in the egg. Add pepper to taste.
- Drop cheese mixture by rounded tablespoons onto pasta mixture. Cover and cook for 5 additional minutes.
- Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella, cook for an additional minute or two to melt the cheese.
- Remove from heat, let set for about 5 minutes for a less juicy texture.
Saturated fat: 5g