Savory Lentil Soup
Print This Recipe
Savory Lentil Soup (pdf)
- 8 ounces of low-fat turkey kielbasa or sausage
- 11/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of red lentils, rinsed
- 11/2 cups lower sodium chicken broth
- 11/2 cups water
- 1 cup kale or other dark greens, chopped into small strips
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- In medium soup pot, brown turkey kielbasa or sausage in a dry pan, or if needed, in 2 teaspoons of olive oil (it's OK if meat sticks to the pan a little).
- Remove the browned meat and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the garlic in the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil, then add the chopped onion and sauté until soft (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add the lentils, broth, water and sausage. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Add the greens and simmer 5 additional minutes.
- Stir in 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar right before serving.
Total fat: 10g
Saturated fat: 3g
Carbohydrates: 18 g