Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
Print This Recipe
This combo recipe is a meal in one since it contains a carbohydrate/starch (quinoa), a protein (black beans) and several vegetables.
- ½ cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 1 ½ cups water, to cook quinoa
- 1 ½ Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1 15-ounce can of unsalted black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 green chilis or jalepeno peppers, minced, to taste (remove seeds if you prefer your food less spicy)
- Black pepper, to taste
Boil water, add quinoa and simmer until water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes. Cool quinoa for about 15 minutes.
Mix olive oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander, chopped cilantro, and green onions in a small bowl.
Combine chopped vegetables and beans in a large bowl, add cooled quinoa and dressing.
Refrigerate for about an hour before serving to blend flavors.
Makes 4 servings
Fat: 7 gm
Saturated Fat: 1 gm
Carbohydrates: 35 gm
Sodium: 25 mg
Fiber: 12 gm