- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds 95%-lean ground beef
- 1 1/4 pounds 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1 cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in thyme, dry mustard, salt and pepper. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add beef, turkey, breadcrumbs, parsley, egg and egg white to the onion mixture. With clean hands, mix thoroughly and transfer to the prepared pan.
- Bake the meatloaf until an instant-read thermometer registers 160°F when inserted into the center, about 1 hour 20 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes
Nutrition Facts Per Slice (1/8th of recipe)
Total Fat 9 grams
Saturated Fat 2 grams
Cholesterol 105 mg
Total Carbs 10 grams
Fiber 2 grams
Protein 31 grams
Sodium 340 mg