Roasted Italian Eggplant
When you think about healthy dinner choices, eggplant parmesan is probably not top of the list. But, with a few tweaks to the original recipe, you can enjoy this traditional dish.
- 1 eggplant, sliced approximately 1/2 inch slices
- 6 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 8 teaspoon of tomato paste
- 6 eggs, whisked in a bowl
- 8 ounces parmesan cheese
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese grated
- 1 ounce fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- juice of ½ lemon
- 4 ounces of olive oil
- 4 ounces flour
- Black pepper
When you have fruits or vegetables with a harder skin, use a serrated knife and it will cut more easily.
For the oregano, hold the stem in one hand and with the other hand, run your fingers along the stem to remove the leaves. Discard the stem.
Whisk the eggs in a bowl large enough that you'll be able to dip the eggplant slices into it.
- Heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Add olive oil to the pan and begin to heat your large sauté pan.
- While the pan is heating, dip both sides of the eggplant slice in flour and then dip the slice into the egg wash. Place in the heated pan. You should hear a sizzle when you add the eggplant to the pan.
- You want to see a golden brown color on both sides of the eggplant slices. You'll finish the cooking in the oven, so don't overcook the eggplant.
- Remove the cooked eggplant to a clean preparation area. Add 1 teaspoon of tomato paste to the top of each eggplant slice. Add oregano. Next add sliced garlic to taste. Add a dash of black pepper. Add shredded mozzerella to the top of each eggplant slice. Next add finely grated paremsan. If you would like, add a dash of crushed red pepper.
- Place the eggplant slices on a baking sheet and place in the oven for approximately 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Total Fat 15g
Saturated Fat 4.5g
Total Carbohydrates 13g
Dietary Fiber 3g