Services for Hospitals and Clinics
Range of Services
- Image interpretations: On-site services for general radiology. Teleradiology services provided for organizations in rural areas or those not requiring on-site services. Back-up coverage for physician leave time (short- or long-term).
- PACS support and image exchange data connections: Scaled PACS support includes competitive pricing for equipment, service and archiving. VPNs (Virtual Private Networks) provide secure connections between UW Health and partnering organizations and are used to send images electronically, for continuing patient care 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.
- Medical Director availability: Our medical directors provide counsel on radiation safety, representation at medical staff meetings, quality/peer review (including mammography MQSA) and updates on new evolving technology.
- Management of technical services
- Technologist specialty training
- Protocol development with attention to radiation dose reduction
UW Health's radiologists are experts in the following areas:
- Abdominal imaging: World leaders in virtual colonography, a minimally-invasive method to screen for colon cancer. Minimally-invasive methods for treating thoracic and abdominal malignancies with cryo- and microwave ablation. Advanced MR imaging techniques include image vascular anatomy and quantify blood flow, as well as methods to quantify hepatic fat and iron deposition.
- Breast imaging: Our department has been awarded the prestigious designation of a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence, providing the highest standard of care with expert medical and technical staff. Experienced with advanced imaging modalities including 3-D breast imaging, breast PET and breast MR.
- Cardiovascular imaging: Pre-operative cardiac CT imaging techniques for thoracic endovascular aortic repair (TAVI), reducing recovery times and transforming the care of patients with previously inoperable aortic stenosis.
- Musculoskeletal imaging and intervention: Our department provides rapid, expert confidential consultation of spine, joint and extremity imaging and interventional cases, including complex sports medicine imaging.
- Neuroradiology: UW Health is among an elite group of hospitals in the nation to receive Comprehensive Stroke Center Certification. Advanced imaging techniques include functional MRI used to guide treatment decisions for vascular lesions, stroke, tumor and seizures.
- Nuclear medicine and positron emission tomography (PET Imaging): State-of-the-art research in oncologic radiopharmaceuticals to target at the molecular level. Current research includes NM404, a diapeutic compound in Phase 2 trials.
- Pediatric imaging: Our technologists and fellowship-trained pediatric radiology physicians are dedicated to treat children with state-of-the-art, optimal dose equipment in a child-friendly environment.
- Thoracic imaging: Lung cancer screening in a multidisciplinary setting, using optimal-dose CT and interpreted by thoracic radiologists knowledgeable in the current national guidelines. Radiographic interpretation for occupational lung disease with NIOSH certified B readers.
- Interventional radiology: Providing the full range of minimally invasive interventional radiology services to include: vascular, renal and oncologic interventions.
- Protocol development: UW Health is a nationally recognized developer of imaging protocols and procedures, as evidenced by our partnership with General Electric to develop protocols that ensure the lowest optimal radiation dose to patients. The UW Department of Radiology and Department of Medical Physics have developed rigorous protocols to provide images of the highest quality at the lowest possible radiation dose.
- Radiation dose reduction: Our radiologist physicians and staff individualize every patient's exam to improve diagnoses while limiting radiation exposure with state-of-the-art equipment and techniques. The UW Department of Radiology practices ongoing quality improvement, and radiation dose monitoring and reduction continue to be a core quality practice. UW Health surpasses standards issued by the ACR with respect to image acquisition and reporting. We remain committed to the needs of our referring physicians as well as to patient safety.
- PACS development and implementation industry leader
- Technology experts in imaging equipment, equipment partnerships with major vendors, quality control, protocol development
- Pioneers in developing a decision support system as an online tool to aid clinical providers in selecting the appropriate imaging study for their patients.
- Coding and documentation consultations