Obtaining Medical Records
Please call Health Information Management at (608) 263-6030, option 5, between 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday
8am-4:15pm, Monday through Friday, at 8501 Excelsior Drive, Madison
You can request copies of your medical records from most UW Health clinics (see exceptions in the section below) by:
- Completing and printing the UW Health Authorization (pdf) form.
- Mailing or faxing the completed form to the following address:
University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics
Health Information Management
Attention: Release of Information/IOD
8501 Excelsior Dr., Room 101
Fax: (608) 203-4580
For medical records requests from the following locations, please contact the location directly:
Please note: The UW Health authorization does authorize release of records containing psychiatric diagnoses or treatment, alcohol or drug abuse information, or HIV or AIDS information, unless you specify any exceptions on the line above the signature line. Please be aware that other authorizations may handle these protected conditions differently.
Cost for Obtaining Medical Records
There is no charge for copies of your medical record mailed directly to other hospitals, clinics, or physicians for further medical care. If your request is for copies needed for an upcoming doctor's appointment, please indicate the date of your appointment on the request.
Payment for copies for other reasons is required. A cost of $0.39 per page plus tax and actual postage will be charged for patient requests for non-health care purposes. (Note: Wisconsin State Statute regulates the fees applied to requesters other than the patient - for actual costs, please contact HIM). You will be mailed a quote to indicate the total cost for the copies that must be paid in full prior to records being sent.
When Will My Copies Be Mailed?
The average turnaround time is five business days. Copies of medical records will be mailed once payment is received. The following methods of payment will be accepted:
- Make payment online via credit or debit card at https://payportal.iodincorporated.com
- Mail payment to IOD Incorporated ATTN: A/R Department, PO Box 19058 Green Bay, WI 54307-9058. Please make check or money order payable to IOD Incorporated
- Make payment on site at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics Health Information Management at 8501 Excelsior Drive, Room 101, Madison, WI, 53717. We accept credit or debit card, personal check or money order
- Make payment via credit card by calling our Central Office at (866) 420-7455, ext. 512.