How to Obtain Your Medical Records
Requesting Medical Records and Images from UW Health Clinics
Select the appropriate link from the Requesting Medical Records and Images options below to request your medical records from:
- American Family Children's Hospital
- University Hospital
- UW Health at The American Center
- UW Carbone Cancer Center
- All UW Health clinics*
To request medical records and images from the following locations, follow the same process, but list the name of the location in the "Other Healthcare Organization" option on Question 2a, if you are using UW Health's authorization form:
- Generations Fertility Care
- Madison Surgery Center
- Transformations Surgery Center
- Wisconsin Sleep
- UW Health Rehabilitation Hospital (offered as its own option on the UW Health authorization form)
Requesting Medical Records and Images
- Obtaining Medical Records | Cómo Obtener Copias De Su Expediente Médico
- Obtaining Medical Images from UW Health
Giving Permission to Communicate with Others About Your Health Care
- Obtaining Authorization for Verbal Communication and/or to Leave Voice Mail Messages | Autorización para la Comunicación Verbal y/o para dejar mensajes en el buzón de voz (pdf)
- Obtaining Authorization for Release of Verbal Communication and Exchange of Written Communication | Intercambio de Información Autorización para la Divulgación de Comunicación Verbal E Intercambio de Información Escrita (pdf)
If you would like to request hard copies (paper) of your medical records and radiology images, please submit two separate authorization requests.
Pathology Reports and Slides
The UW Hospital and Clinics Pathology Department can assist you with requests to send your pathology slides and reports for continued medical care or second opinion consultation. Contact the department by phone at (608) 263-8443.
- Requests to forward pathology material for continued medical care at another facility require a written request from that facility.
- Requests for second opinion consultation at another facility must be initiated by your physician and done in consultation with a surgical pathologist.
- Pathology slides will need to be returned to UW Hospital and Clinics.